Saltar apartados

10 basic questions


1. Why is it important to study in Catalan and English?

Studying in Catalan gets you ready to enter the labour world and to better fit into the society in which we live. Lessons in Catalan will allow you to reinforce your language competence, that is, to know how to use the language both spoken and written, in any communication situation. Language competence in Catalan will give you access to work, both in the public and private sectors, in the region of Valencia, the Balearics,  Andorra and Catalonia.

The social context also demands the knowledge of English and other languages. Lessons in English will allow you to have a better command of this language to use it in an academic context and this will give you wider access to the labour market. Studying in English will allow you to:

  •  participate in university exchanges with universities in which English is the vehicular language
  •  continue to study and do internships
  •  do research activities and work abroad
  •  join multilingual teams.


2. What does registering in a subject taught in Catalan or English imply?

The fact of registering in a group with subjects taught in Catalan or English means that the vehicular language in which these subjects are taught will be Catalan or English (either theoretical or practical lessons) and the teaching material, bibliography etc can be in this language. We recommend that you should -as long as you can- use Catalan or English in your interventions and works. Although, whenever you do not feel confident, you can always use any of the two official languages.


3. What do I get if I mark on the registration form that I want my subjects taught in Catalan?

If you mark this option, the University will have evidence of the number of requests for the Catalan language in every degree programme. Thus, you will get an increase of the requests and therefore, of the subjects taught in Catalan over the subsequent academic years.


4. Do I have the right to speak in Catalan at the University?

Of course! You can use it in all the academic and extracurricular activities organised by the UA. In this regard, article 166, Section P of the UA statute states that students can use any of the two official languages «without undermining the measures launched to standardise the use of Catalan and to promote the knowledge of foreign languages».


You should also know that a subject offered in Catalan or English will imply that the lecturer will teach the subject in the language it has been offered in order to guarantee students their right to education according to their language choice. 


5. In which study programmes can you take the subjects taught in Catalan?

There are groups where the teaching language is only Spanish. Although, there are groups in which there are some subjects taught in Catalan and some others in Spanish.


6. Which undergraduate programmes have subjects taught in Catalan in the academic year 2013/2014?

The undergraduate programmes with subjects taught in Catalan are the following:

  •  Business Administration & Management
  • Architectural Technology
  •  Biology
  • Physical Activity and Sports Sciences
  •  Law
  •  Civil Engineering
  •  Building Engineering
  •  Computing Engineering
  •  English Studies
  •  French Studies
  •  Spanish: Language & Literatures
  •  Arabic & Islamic Studies
  •  Catalan Studies
  •  Geography & Land Planning
  •  History
  •  Nursing
  •  Pre-school Education Speciality
  •  Primary Education Speciality
  •  Human Nutrition & Dietetics
  •  Advertising & public Relations
  •  Chemistry
  •  Sociology
  •  Translation & Interpreting
  •  Social Work
  •  Tourism


Further information here.


7. Which undergraduate programmes are taught in English?

The University of Alicante offers High Performance Groups  (ARA), with a minimum percentage of English teaching of 50% in core credits in the following study programmes:


  •  Architecture
  •  Sound and Image in Telecommunication Engineering
  •  Biology
  •  Computing Engineering
  • Law



Also, there are other study programmes offering theoretical or practical subjects in English:


  •  Business Administration
  •  Catalan Studies
  •  Chemical Engineering
  •  Nursing
  •  English Studies
  •  Optics & Optometry
  •  Arabic & Islamic Studies
  •  Tourism + Business Administration
  •  French Studies
  •  Translation & Interpreting
  •  Spanish: Language & Literatures
  •  Tourism




Further information here.


8. What Catalan or English language command should I prove I have to be able to  take these subjects?

In the case of Catalan, the language command of higher secondary education is enough to start with. As for English, the recommended minimum language command to be able to follow the lessons is B2 level.


9. What can I do if my study programme has no teaching in Catalan or English languages?

The University of Alicante is committed to increasing the presence of Catalan and English in our study programmes. Anyway, if there is not any available yet, complete this formor contact the Service for Language Policies through our web suggestions box.


10. How can I improve my Catalan, English and other languages?

The University of Alicante is determined to increase the knowledge and use of languages. This is why you have several options available:

a. Study programmes taught in Catalan or English.

b. Specialised-language subjects in several languages.

c. Catalan language courses organised by Service for Language Policies; English, French, German, Russian and other languages organised by the Advanced Language Centre, or Japanese, Chinese, Korean languages organised by the Office for Asian-Pacífic Relations.

d. Language stays at Catalan and English-speaking universities.

e. Services offered by the Self-Learning Centre, located on the ground floor of the Main Library, such as conversation and volunteering groups in Catalan language.

f. Language exchanges organised by Advanced Language Centre. 


Also, take into account our wide cultural offerings in Catalan and other languages (workshops, concerts, theatre, cinema, courses, etc.) organised by the Cultural Service, the University Venues Coordinating Centre, the Rafael Altamira summer courses, etc. 


Further information

Service for Culture and Languages

Germà Bernàcer Building, 1st floor

965 90 34 85 /

Language Policy

Universidad de Alicante
Carretera de San Vicente del Raspeig s/n
Edificio Germán Bernácer
03690 San Vicente del Raspeig
Alicante (Spain)

Tel: (+34) 96 590 3485

Fax: (+34) 96 590 3947

For further information:, and for enquiries on this web server:

Carretera San Vicente del Raspeig s/n - 03690 San Vicente del Raspeig - Alicante - Tel. 96 590 3400 - Fax 96 590 3464